20100723

The I'm-Tired-And-Don't-Feel-Like-Cooking Easy Ground Beef Dinner

I was feeling pretty tired yesterday. Back in the old days, two weeks ago, it would have meant picking up the phone and ordering take-out (Japanese or Greek food most likely). Last night it meant I had to suck it up and come up with something that felt manageable. This is it.

Ingredients:
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 large cooking onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef or bison from pastured animals
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 tsp Celtic salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup dairy-free pesto, fresh or frozen

Method:
In a large frying pan, warm the coconut oil over medium heat for a minute or two. Add the onion and let it cook until just starting to brown. This took about 15 minutes for me, stirring every 5 minutes or so. My timer is my friend.

If you've managed to think far enough ahead to have the beef defrosted, good for you! Otherwise just chuck it in the pan frozen.

Cook the beef, breaking it into small pieces as you go. If it's frozen, scrape the sides as it cooks so you don't end up with a log.

When the beef is almost cooked, as in still has a little pink showing, add the beans. They will need to cook for another 10-15 minutes or so. I don't mind them crunchy, but The Fiancé commented.

When the beans are cooked dump everything into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the mix and stir it in. Next add the pesto. (If it was frozen, add it to the pan and let it melt a bit before dumping everything into the mixing bowl).

Mix the pesto in well. I think I ended up using about a 1/2 cup. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment