20100715

Zucchini Noodles with Dairy-Free Pesto

This recipe makes way more pesto than you will need. It will keep in the fridge for a while and can also be frozen. I've heard of people freezing small portions in ice cube trays. When frozen they can be popped out and stored in a larger container.

2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
5 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp celtic salt
olive oil

1 medium sized zucchini
1-2 tbsp coconut oil

I made the pesto earlier in the afternoon and let it sit on the counter so the flavours could mix. Just like how soup or stew is better the next day.

Put the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and a good drizzle of olive oil into a food processor. Pulse the processor and scrape down the sides if needed until everything is getting chopped. Keep whirring and add as much olive oil as needed to make a wet paste.

I wish I had a fancy veggie noodle maker, but I don't. I used a veggie peeler. After taking a strip (that's one noodle) off, turned the zucchini slightly for the next strip. It takes a while, not forever, maybe 5 minutes, but seems longer.

Heat the zucchini in a fry pan with coconut oil. You can eat zucchini raw so you don't have to cook it to death, just warm it up. I think I cooked my noodles for about 7 minutes over medium heat. Keep flipping and mixing them so they heat evenly.

When done, dump your noodles into a large bowl. Put a good sized glob, about a 1/4 cup, of pesto on them and mix it up. Add more pesto if needed. I used around a 1/2 cup. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment